Archview Physiotherapy Pain and Sports Injury Clinic has a team of skilled clinicians such as physiotherapists, physical therapists, sports therapists who specialise in sports injury treatment. One of the most common sports injuries we see in the clinic are hamstrings.
Hamstring injuries are an extremely common soft tissue injury seen in field sports such as hockey, football, hurling, soccer, and rugby. Some research suggests that injured hamstrings account for as much as 17-25% of all GAA injuries at inter-county level. Runners, footballers, and even brisk walkers are all susceptible to injuring their hamstring.
A hamstring strain can cause a variety of symptoms. These include:
- Pain in the back of your thigh, either behind your knee, in the muscle belly, or near your buttock
- Difficulty fully straightening your knee without pain
- Difficulty taking large steps or walking quickly, or pain with climbing stairs
- Difficulty and pain with running
Risk of hamstring injuries:
- Prolonged sitting postures – e.g., desk job, driving
- Muscle imbalance – weak gluteal muscles and/or hamstrings
- Reduced flexibility
- Inadequate warm up
- Reduced fitness level
If you feel you may have a hamstring strain or injury and would like to arrange a consultation with one of our physiotherapists or sports therapists, please call 014913228 or book online via our website www.archviewclinic.ie Located in Ranelagh, Dublin 6.